Are you looking for a great guide on where to stay in Bangkok or the best things to do while in Bangkok?
I've got you covered. Here are the best things to do in Bangkok including where to eat, sleep, shop and explore. Plus, how to get to Bangkok, when the best time of year to travel to Bangkok is, and so much more.
Bangkok QUICK FACTS
- Capital of Thailand since 1782
- Population of 11 million
Bangkok District Breakdown
Bangkok is a huge bustling city. It is very easy to get overwhelmed. Especially when you are planning and you aren't sure what district to stay in. Study the map (and click to open a bigger version) to help you better understand where each district is located.
The most popular districts to stay in while visiting Bangkok are listed below:
Rattanakosin - Old Bangkok - includes the best known sites like Grand Palace and Wat Pho.
Khao San Road - popular budget travelers paradise. Full of clubs, bars, cheap accommodations, street food and pure craziness. The party never stops on this road.
Siam Square - Ultra commercialized. The modern commercial core, full of glitzy malls and hotels.
Sukhumvit - District popular with Bangkok's huge expat community. Quality hotels, restaurants and nightclubs can be found here.
Best times to visit bangkok
The best time to visit Bangkok is from late October to March, when the heat and humidity are at their lowest. But, because this is still Thailand it will still be very hot. Think in the 90s!
Bangkok's shoulder season is April and mid-October, when frequent rain showers occur. You can find good deals on flights and hotels during these months.
HOW TO GET to (and from) bangkok
Bangkok by Plane...
- Most people arrive to Bangkok (and southeast Asia in general) through the biggest airport; Suvarnabhumi Airport (airport code BKK).
- Don Mueang International Airport is another big airport in Bangkok.
- Both lie about 30 km from the city center and traffic to and from is BAD. Prepare for a long journey in.
- If connecting through the airports allow at least 3 hours.
- There is a free shuttle between the two airports - you must show your ticket for entrance.
Bangkok by Train...
- Hualamphong Train Station is the biggest and most modern train station.
- The Advance Booking Office is located to the right of the platforms. You can select your seat/berth from a plan of the train, and pay via credit card.
- Ignore any person wandering and offering help to buy tickets or get you a cab - even if they are in official looking clothing. These are all scammers.
- Also, the second floor shops offering "Tourist Information" are scammers as well. Just in a better disguise.
Bangkok by Bus...
- Stay away from private bus companies, they are overpriced and full of scams
- Buy bus tickets directly at Bangkok's three public bus terminals
- The biggest bus station is Northern Bus Terminal, or Mo Chit 2.
- The Eastern Bus Terminal, or Ekkamai, is near Sukhumvit.
- The Southern Bus Terminal, or Sai Tai Mai, is in Bank Khae area of Bangkok - a very remote location.
Bangkok by Car...
- Don't drive to Bangkok. The roads are a nightmare and you will just sit in traffic.
HOW TO GET AROUND Bangkok
Are Ubers available in Bangkok?
YES! Definitely use them. It is the best way to get around while abroad.
- There are two lines: Sukhumvit Line and Silom Line. Both lines come together at Siam (CEN), where you can interchange between them.
- Fares range from 15 to 52 baht depending upon how many zones you are travelling
- Tourists rarely use the metro since the Skytrain is better
- Metro tickets are not interchangeable with Skytrain tickets.
- Rides start from 16 baht and are based on distance.
- Chao Phraya Express Boat is a great option for not only getting around but also sightseeing!
- Long-tail river taxi can also be used but are very expensive.
- Taxis are popular in the city but are known to rip people off. Never get in one that refuses to turn their meter on. It is against the law for drivers to work with a broken meter.
Read more scams to avoid in Thailand here.
- A popular way to see the city and a must do while in Thailand. ALWAYS negotiate and agree on a price before getting in the tuk-tuk.
Top sights in Bangkok
There is so much to see and do below is just a brief list.
For a full list of the very best things to do in Bangkok check out this article.
Where to eat and drink in Bangkok
Bangkok has so many places to eat and drink. It is a huge sprawling city and picking a place can be overwhelming. I'm here to help...
- Click here for the best places to eat in Bangkok on any budget.
- Click here for the best rooftop bars in Bangkok for a perfect night out.
Best Hotels in Bangkok
Of course, this highly depends on where you want to stay while in Bangkok. Remember to take a look at the district maps above to help you pick a location within Bangkok.
Best hotels in Old City Bangkok
Want more travel tips?
Follow me on social Media!
You may also like...
*This post contains affiliate links. When you make a purchase using these links, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. These commissions help keep this blog running. Thanks!*